Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default OT. Another "black box"

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 6:05:43 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2014 11:47:27 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/28/2014 3:20 PM, wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out the big fuss over at GM with the

recall of millions of cars. From what I can see, there were 30

accidents and 6 deaths because the ignition switch turned the car

off and apparently people can no longer deal with that. How many

cars have all kinds of failures everyday that results

in the engine quitting? Like running out of gas? But 30 ignition

switches shutoff and the result is death and destruction?

One thing I did not see, does it also lock up the steering wheel? IIRC

you are in NJ. Picture the Garden State Parkway, 8 AM, at 75 mph and

you are in the middle lane when the engine dies and steering wheel locks

up. I don't want to be behind you on a curve.

No, from everything I've read or seen on TV, no mention of it locking

the steering wheel. If it did, 99.9% chance that they would have

included that. They said the key just moves from on to the ACC position,

which in any car I've had, did not lock the wheel.

Yep. I have had cars with locking steering wheels from when they first came out ?37? ford to modern day and none of them would lock without turning the key full off. Automatics nowadays can't belocked until the trannyi is in Park.

As for how one acts with no power to brakes steering? Stiff but not that bad. I once pushed my 70 yoa mother over 20 miles in her dead car through a town with 3 stoplights. She had no problem. Why "push"? All I had was a chain and that resulted in horrible jerks and yanks going up/down hills. Not that hard to synchronize speeds to achieve a gentle nudge recontacting at the bottom of a hill.

Harry K