Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default Semi with separate gutters, neighbour asking to join gutters

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Watts wrote:

Never share any service with a neighbour that you don't have to! Ever...

My neighbour and I jointly replaced the soffits/fascias/guttering of
our houses about 7 years ago, I organised the materials, they borrowed
a scaffold tower and we shared the work.

There's a single run of guttering front and back, in other houses I've
known, the front gutter has a downpipe on one house and the rear is on
the other, but here both downpipes are on my house.

After we'd finished the work he asked me for copies of the receipts for
the materials and he'd square up, when I did so he struck-off his half
of the cost for the downpipes and outlets, on the grounds they were all
mine, cheeky git! I felt like putting a hacksaw through the gutter at
the mid-point and fitting two end-stops.

A very long story, but, shortened version :-

My parents own a property in a village and 5 houses have septic tanks,
the over flows of which combine and run through our property. A few
years ago there was a blockage of the common pipe on our land and I
organised a company to come in and clear it. It is amazing what passes
through the system, including a very large foam sponge. Any way after
it was cleared I spoke with the neighbours about sharing the cost and
apart from one they said, tough, it's on your land you have to pay the
bill, maybe legally correct, morally they were a bunch of self
righteous ******* .

I really felt like blocking their feeds into our pipework for a few
days, but didn't!!

PS, the effect of the blockage being removed is very impressive with
100' head of "liquid" out of a 4" pipe, you don't want to be anywhere
nearby.
--
Bill