Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Another "black box"

On Friday, February 28, 2014 11:47:27 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/28/2014 3:20 PM, wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out the big fuss over at GM with the

recall of millions of cars. From what I can see, there were 30

accidents and 6 deaths because the ignition switch turned the car

off and apparently people can no longer deal with that. How many

cars have all kinds of failures everyday that results

in the engine quitting? Like running out of gas? But 30 ignition

switches shutoff and the result is death and destruction?

One thing I did not see, does it also lock up the steering wheel? IIRC

you are in NJ. Picture the Garden State Parkway, 8 AM, at 75 mph and

you are in the middle lane when the engine dies and steering wheel locks

up. I don't want to be behind you on a curve.

No, from everything I've read or seen on TV, no mention of it locking
the steering wheel. If it did, 99.9% chance that they would have
included that. They said the key just moves from on to the ACC position,
which in any car I've had, did not lock the wheel.