Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home heat savings?

On 2/27/2014 3:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
If I put a box over the heat vent in the kitchen and over the living
room, might not heat those rooms as much. Save a buck on energy?

Anyone tried this?

Gonna be below zero tonight, and windy. My heat bill will be up a
bit, or a lot.

I've see it cause the over temp sensor shut down more than one furnace
due to diminished airflow through the combustion chamber on NG fired
heating systems. When the temperature dropped to unusually low levels
here in Alabamastan, I left the rooms open to prevent the 7°F air from
freezing the pipes in the crawl space under "The Crotchety Old Fart's
Lair" because it's an older house with no insulation under the floors.
The extra cost to heat the open unoccupied rooms is much lower than the
cost of repairing freeze damage to the plumbing. ^_^

TDD