Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default anyone near a menards

On 2/28/14, 3:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/28/2014 4:41 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/28/14, 3:10 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/28/2014 1:48 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Looking at it now. Strap is 1 inch by 16 feet. Looks decent
although the liners on the corner pads look pretty chintzy.
Housing is plastic. It is packaged so I could not try the
ratchet mechanism.

Larry

Ok, thanks. The corners are not that critical to me, I have a
bunch of bessey's, but I'll bet the ones supplied are ok enough.

Thanks for your time Larry.

You will very quickly find the value in the corners that attach to
the strap. If the Bessey ones don't, consider getting ones that
do.

I only meant that I had the besseys, yes the corners are critical,
but I think if the bessey's fit, I am good. I had bought extras for
my bessey band clamp. If this single handed unit is that good, I'll
get another at a later time.

Banding can be a pain when you only have 2 hands.

Swingman said he got his when they were about 19... so that was a
great deal for them.

Just so I'm clear and especially since you bring up hand issues...
When the corner brackets do not attach to the strapping, it can be very
frustrating because they will slip out of position as you are putting
them on the corners of your stock. When positioning, they are free to
slip off and you need to keep constant tension on the strap when
positioning each successive corner bracket. A real PITA.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--