Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Another "black box"

On Friday, February 28, 2014 12:05:46 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/28/2014 11:41 AM, wrote:

There are actually 2 paths these sort of things can exploit. I believe

this one just overloads the key fob receiver by sending all of the

available codes in a short period of time.

It would sure have to be one crappy design if the car allows

that to happen.

Considering the history of designs of the automobile you know it can't

happen.

I'm still trying to figure out the big fuss over at GM with the
recall of millions of cars. From what I can see, there were 30
accidents and 6 deaths because the ignition switch turned the car
off and apparently people can no longer deal with that. How many
cars have all kinds of failures everyday that results
in the engine quitting? Like running out of gas? But 30 ignition
switches shutoff and the result is death and destruction? With the
switch off, the air bags won't deploy, but from the pics I saw on
TV, the wrecks they showed didn't appear survivable with or without
an air bag. Nothing left of the car, the driver wasn't wearing a seat
belt. Not sure if it was that accident or another one, but some
of them, the drivers had been drinking. But, heh, it's all GM's fault..

IMO a little bit of driver ed in the parking lot, showing students
how the steering and brakes react when the car loses power would
be a better idea than the big recall of 10 year old cars.