Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Bridgeport "E" shaper head info needed...

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:38:35 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

What do you have for lube in the gearcase? I see they spec Mobil 600W
which is still available in expensive 5gal or larger. From what I see it
doesn't have a "common" cross reference as it's listed for steam
applications, but it seems outside of steam compatibility it's
essentially SAE 140 weight gear oil so I'm wondering if some good Mobil
synthetic gear oil would be an adequate substitute that I can get in
quart size.

I'd use regular gear oil. its just a low speed low pressure gear box.

The 600W is specified because of the worm reducer in the gearbox. 600W
used to be available in quarts from Boston Gear, not sure if it still
is. BG rates their boxes slightly higher when SHC634 is used instead
of 600W.

But I agree, for the limited use these shapers typically see, gear oil
is probably fine. The number of times I actually used the thing, and
the high price they fetch, is why mine went on ebay years ago.

--
Ned Simmons