Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default Thermally protected outlets

On 2/27/2014 2:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message

AFCI detection can be done without ground fault detection - then the
neutral would probably not have to connect through the AFCI. The ground
fault feature (usually at 30 mA) adds to the fault problems the AFCI
will detect.

I am not sure I follow. Is this saying that I could connect the AFCI
breakers without the pigtails and still have arc but not ground fault
protection? Surely this would give the AHJ conniptions.

It is easier to make an AFCI that does not have ground fault protection;
I don't see why the neutral would have to go through then. But the UL
standard requires ground fault protection, which means the neutral has
to go through the AFCI (else it would trip on any load).

I doubt the UL test for the BSafe receptacles tests the thermal feature.

One thing I discovered a long time ago with worklights from China is that
there's a thriving market in China for forged UL hologram stickers. Is it
really possibly that the UL would bypass testing the safety function that
would be the reason people bought the TPO in the first place? That's pretty
incredible.

UL tests to a standard. I doubt the standard for receptacles has any
tests for a thermal trip. The standard could be revised, or a different
standard written, but I doubt that has happened.

That feature may provide additional protection. It should be a lot
faster than an AFCI trip on ground fault through carbonized plastic.

The price is low enough that I will probably pick up a few to test, although
the testing is going to be destructive. If it does catch a deliberately
"half plugged" line cord then I suppose I'll use them in the high current
outlets in the kitchen and where I have space heaters operating. The melted
outlets I've experienced probably would not have started fires (fingers
crosses) but they did make an awful smell and scared my wife quite a bit.

Hey - great idea for a new device - a SFCI
(stink-fault-circuit-interrupter).