Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Commercial water heater in home

On 28 Feb 2014 04:57:21 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-02-27, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

Right, but you still need water pressure to supply water. I'm working
on finding a split well cap which will let me to sink a manual pump
next to the downpipe of the submersible, allowing me to pump water
during a long-term power outage.

If it is deep enough to be using a submersible, you can't use a
suction pump at the top -- you would need a moving pump rod going down
to the piston and valves down at the bottom. (Anything over about 30
feet deep, at least.) Even with perfect seals all the way down from a
suction pump to the water you could pump all day at say 33 feet and not
get the water to come out. You would simply build a vacuum in the top
end of the pipe. :-)

It's a pressure-style, Don. Raise the handle and it pulls water in
the bottom via the foot valve. PUsh the handle down and the check
valve in the center pipe stops the water, pushing it through the pipe.
That beats the 30' rule for vacuum lock. Simple and effective for up
to several hundred feet, depending on leverage. Mine will be down
about 40', in case my 26' level drops during a drought. (which we were
in but are getting lots or rain right now.)

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.