Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Changing 120v AC to 240V

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
As the product is described as 50/60Hz. It is very unlikely that two
different transformer cores will be used. Also, 110/120V products have
to withstand up to about 150V in operation because of the US
distribution system of very long lines and the resulting poor
regulation. I can't recall the exact voltage ranges we designed for in
120V PSUs, but I reckon it was 80 to 160V. My experience is that I've
yet to see a US consumer transformer fail due to core saturaton at 50Hz.
I generally buy US ceiling fans for summer use and none of these have
yet shown any signs of overheating.

It's pretty easy to get a 110v transformer to run US equipment here. If it
really were a problem with transformer design on the average low power
device I'd have thought it would be known.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.