Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burnt Outlet

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:23:18 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:59:43 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

Which brings up another subject. Today with my tong meter I realized

that

one side of the panel was pulling way more amps than the other.

How much is way much more?

From 11 to 15A

Perfectly normal.

I think it's required to be listed and while it's typically listed

by UL it doesn't have to specifically be UL, just a recognized testing

lab. Given the crap that most X-10 products are, and since you're

worried about getting thermally protected outlets, AFCI's etc, I'd

think you'd want the X10 repeater listed.

Different concerns. I'd already melted more than one outlet with a space

heater whose plug had worked slightly loose. That's a serious fire hazard.

With the XTB-II repeater, I am not worried that it will start a fire.

Is this an active one or just a passive one? The passive ones, at least

some, are just caps

AFAIK.

This is an active one designed by a guy who built custom electronics for

NASA for several decades. He looked into UL listing but it would have made

the device impracticably expensive. He's provided detailed circuit diagrams

and component lists and enough information to make me comfortable using the

device. We had extensive conversations about worst-case scenarios and while

I'd like it to be UL listed, I don't see it as being a dealbreaker,

especially considering how useful the device has been. You can see for

yourself that this is not typical Chinese made X-10 consumer stuff:

http://jvde.us/xtb/XTB-II_description.htm

Jeff's design and soldering work is impeccable and the XTB-II pretty much

eliminates all of the typical problems X-10 faces in the world of modern

switching-power supplies. Unlike other repeaters, this unit boosts the X-10

signal to over 25 volts which is usually enough to power through any

interference.

Investing in the XTB-II saved me from having to switch to another home

automation protocol and protected my substantial investment in X-10 gear. I

am sure you would change your opinion about X-10 if you saw one of these

units in action and the difference it makes to an "iffy" X-10 setup. The 5

to 10 volt signal strength of standard X-10 gear is just not enough to reach

across phases or fight signal attenuation. That's partly because modern

electronics are pretty noisy and are often designed to choke RFI which,

ironically, is what the X-10 signal looks like to many devices. A 120Khz

noise spike at the zero crossing.

--

Bobby G.

I hear you, but I don't think it would change my overall opinion of X-10.
I'm sure it helps increase the reliability and can make it work where
it otherwise would not. Part of the problem is that they are not upfront
about this problem. I'm sure a lot of people wind up not being able
to get it to work because it really should have a bridge/repeater across
the phases. Then if you want such a device, they are expensive and
as you've found out, have problems of their own, ie not UL listed and
there is no guarantee that they will make it all work either. Or maybe
you get it to work for what you're currently doing, then want to add
something else and that won't work.

The other big problem is that AFAIK, no one is doing anything new
with X-10. What you have now, you've pretty much had the same stuff
for more than a decade, ie no new products, no improvements, etc.
The outdoor sensors don't last, that's another problem. I'd still
use it for a simple application, where I put $20 in it and if it works
it works, but I would not choose it as a means to more extensive home
automation.