Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chainsaw recommendations

Yep - I vote the same. My 25 year old Husky 20" 50 is still running.
Need rings I bet - leaks a bit of oil in the piston. But
then it has been really used and is a hand to use at 67 now. I love
my arbor Stihl a lightweight baby that works like a horse. But
use both. This new gas is crap for a lot of tools. Be sure to buy
the treatment to keep the water out - water and gas destroys light metals.

I used to live in a Redwood forest. The woodmen who cut the various
oaks, madrones and redwoods (species and sub-species) all use Stihl.
They have Husky's as backups and trim work on downed trees.

Martin

On 2/24/2014 12:41 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Nick wrote:

Tom, I have to agree with you on all counts.
Except for Poulan. I'm in UK and have never heard of this make. I've
used Stihl chainsaws for 35 years. My oldest one, a really useful
009, died yesterday. It has been on its last legs for some while but
I will miss it nevertheless. Stihls have served me very well over the
years and I look after my 4 saws. I'm somewhere in between a hobbyist
and a pro. The wood burner takes some feeding and I have a fair bit
of timber to attend to. Last week there were some tree surgeons
working locally on a large weeping willow that had toppled following
high winds and flooding. About 100ft high. Blocked a stream and a
lane. Too big for me at my age and these guys came with a 130T
capacity crane to assist! I got talking to one of the guys. He was using a
Husqvarna with a 48"
bar. He told me that he had stopped using Stihl as they, in his
words, 'lost the plot some years ago when they started concentrating
on saws for hobbyists'. Husqvarna have taken on the mantle and now
produce excellent saws for both pro's and hobbyists. I think this a
bit of a shame as Stihl led the market for years, but times change.
Husqvarna now lead the field in pro saws through innovation.
I don't think I'll ever need a new saw, if otherwise I will certainly
look at what Husqvarna might have to offer.
Good luck.
Nick.

I think that Husky (prior to the sell out), was a viable competitor to
Stihl. I am a Stihl guy and there are plenty of Husky guys out there.
Never really did see where one was really better than the other. Both great
saws. I would though, strenuously disagree with your tree guy. Don't know
what he's smoking, but to this day Stihl still makes some of the best pro
model saws available and that is proven by the number of pros that still use
them. I think he was just talking ****. Even their homeowner line is far
better than competing products. Still Stihl quality. Not pro quality, but
way better than typical homeowner quality junk that's out there in the
market. My thoughts on the quality of Stihl are not just based on my
preference for that saw but are hugely influenced by my local dealer who
sells both Husky and Stihl, and repairs everything out there. Talk to one
of those guys - not the tree guy who really does not know.