Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Replacing Selenium rectifiers

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:38:45 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:34:53 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

news:a8Wdnc2Lm9qD6JDOnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@giganews. com...
On 2014-02-26, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:19:59 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Frozen into the shed, eh? Talking with some of you guys reminds me
of
why I enjoy, so very much, living here in a more temperate climate.

Winter is the easiest time for me, no bugs, few outdoor chores,
cooking and boiling-hot water are free and raw vegetables keep in the
garage. Laundry dries on the line nearly as quickly as in summer
because the humidity is low, 44% right now. My house will remain at
least 30F warmer than outdoors without a fire during a sunny day.

So at zero, you're at a toasty 30F? Wunnerful!

Cranking speed doesn't affect the resistance reading since the
megger's meter senses and displays the ratio of applied voltage to
resulting current, R = E / I.

Oh, so that's what those cranks do. It's a little generator to
create
its own E for the I.

It's for safety; if you get shocked you stop cranking. They have a
centrifugal clutch that limits the maximum RPM and voltage. The
shorted output current on this one is only 1mA but if you are using it
to reform an old high-voltage electrolytic cap you can still get hurt.
I was nailed by 10uF at 800V once and don't care to repeat it.

I got bitten by an 800v line inside a computer monitor once. That
really smarts. I could feel scar tissue in the heel of my hand for a
couple years afterward.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.