Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Commercial water heater in home

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:21:10 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:14:58 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:32:15 -0600, Ignoramus9393
wrote:

I bought a used water heater at an auction (at a defunct Grainger
warehouse). Model G91-200-1.

Here's a link to this model's description:

http://www.grainger.com/product/RHEE...r-Heater-6E743

I bid on it without thinking too much, because it looked expensive. I
would like to ask if a heater like this can be used at my home.

My home water heater is old and needs to be replaced at some point,
and I thought that it would be a very nice high end replacement,
providing a lot of hot water.

The heater that I bought was installed in 2011.

I thought you said it was old. Did you mean 2001?

How can I evaluate its condition (I know that it works, but this is
all I know), and generally can this be used at home? I am quite
ignorant about plumbing and water heaters, I only installed one of
them in my life (at my warehouse).

That will be very inefficient for household use, Ig. Sell it and buy
a new tankless gas heater. They're extremely efficient but cost 2x to
3x that of tank heaters. If you can make a grand off the big one,
you're all set. http://www.rinnai.us/tankless-water-heater

I really don't think Iggy wants a tankless - he likely does not have a
big enough meter or lines to run the things - and they are EXPENSIVE
to maintain. No way a tankless would ever save me enough on gas to
pay for the cost, even if it didn't need maintenance for the first 5
or 6 years - which, with our water, would be impossible.

Silly Canuck. Filter/soften that water before heating it, eh?

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.