Posted to rec.woodworking
SteveB[_15_] SteveB[_15_] is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendations-Chainsaw Country

On 2/25/2014 12:42 PM, Markem wrote:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:20:41 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:

Here's what I was thinking about:
http://powersharp.com/default_NoFlash.asp#

I thought there was also a version built into the saw. Looking at the
website, though, it looks like one of those products that's a good
idea but restricted to special products only offered by one company.

Puckdropper

Please,,. don't waste your money, There is no wa you can properly sharpen a
chain in the way they describe. No matter - it only takes minutes to do it
the right way without getting scammmed by this kind of crap. Go to a local
chainsaw repair shop and have them show you how to do it. It will be so
worth your time that you will be posting comments about it. A simple round
file of the right size and a couple of strokes, and you can have a perfect;u
sharpened chain. Really... Yoi can!

Have an 12V electric file takes me about ten minutes to do the 18" and
14" saws, about twenty minutes with a regular file. Also remember to
mark the starting tooth otherwise it takes all day.

Mark

If you were to measure the cutting life of two chains, one sharpened
with a hand file, the other sharpened with an electric, I would say that
the hand file sharpened chain would last twice as long. The hand file
simply removes less metal, and it reduces the tendency of ham handed
operators to go crazy with them.

Do what the pros do. Carry a couple of very simple files, and know
where to take off the metal. Same as any guy who knows how to sharpen
knives. I've seen knives that were sharpened down to almost nothing,
starting at 3/8" wide at the handle, and coming down to a toothpick on
the point. Absolutely no need to remove that much metal besides
inexperience and error.

Steve

Steve