Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18316 Ignoramus18316 is offline

Default Commercial water heater in home

On 2014-02-26, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus9393 wrote:

I bought a used water heater at an auction (at a defunct Grainger
warehouse). Model G91-200-1.

Here's a link to this model's description:

http://www.grainger.com/product/RHEE...r-Heater-6E743

OK, a couple observations. 590 Lbs dry weight plus 91 gal of
water weighs 1318 Lbs! Can your floor take this weight?

The floor can, it is a concrete floor in the basement. But taking it
down to the basement will be a pain.

Second, can your flue take 199K BTU without burning down the house?

My furnace has a 6 inch flue. My current water heater has a 3 inch
flue, IIRC, and joins the 6" furnace flue very close to the heater.

My water heater has a 3" flue connection, I think. This thing needs
a 6" flue, and it burns more gas than the furnace on my 2600
sq. ft. house, which is 138K BTU, I think.

Yes, this is badass, 199,00 BTU.

What I hope is that I can use it to fill my inflatable pool with warm
water.

Third, it apparently needs electricity for the draft blower and
safety controls, so you get no hot water during a power failure.

That's OK, I am not worried, I can survive without hot water, and also
I have a well working 20 kW generator.

Thanks for your thoughtful input, this is exactly what I was looking
for.