Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Commercial water heater in home

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:14:58 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:32:15 -0600, Ignoramus9393
wrote:

I bought a used water heater at an auction (at a defunct Grainger
warehouse). Model G91-200-1.

Here's a link to this model's description:

http://www.grainger.com/product/RHEE...r-Heater-6E743

I bid on it without thinking too much, because it looked expensive. I
would like to ask if a heater like this can be used at my home.

My home water heater is old and needs to be replaced at some point,
and I thought that it would be a very nice high end replacement,
providing a lot of hot water.

The heater that I bought was installed in 2011.

I thought you said it was old. Did you mean 2001?

How can I evaluate its condition (I know that it works, but this is
all I know), and generally can this be used at home? I am quite
ignorant about plumbing and water heaters, I only installed one of
them in my life (at my warehouse).

That will be very inefficient for household use, Ig. Sell it and buy
a new tankless gas heater. They're extremely efficient but cost 2x to
3x that of tank heaters. If you can make a grand off the big one,
you're all set. http://www.rinnai.us/tankless-water-heater

I really don't think Iggy wants a tankless - he likely does not have a
big enough meter or lines to run the things - and they are EXPENSIVE
to maintain. No way a tankless would ever save me enough on gas to
pay for the cost, even if it didn't need maintenance for the first 5
or 6 years - which, with our water, would be impossible.

Rinnai is the best rated company on the market. Check for rebates
from both Illinois and Federal sources for increasing your efficiency
and lowering your utility bills. I think you get more for upgrading to
gas from electric.