Steve Worcester

Default ebony cracking

Ebony is very difficult to season. Here is what I do.... I buy it, usually
in a very far away local with different climatic conditions, take it home
and set it inside on a shelf. After about a year, I will take it out into
the shop and let it sit for awhile. Then I turn it to rough shape, where I
will leave it for a week or so. Sometimes it will crack from here, sometimes
not. It is a very fickled wood.

--
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com

"John O'Toole" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
Recently started using ebony as inlays in small turned boxes. Problem
is that they develop radial cracks in the process. Any advice to
prevent this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John