Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Attic ceiling insulation

On 02/26/2014 09:31 AM, Dave C wrote:
I have a large, unfinished attice, with ceiling height of ~ 10 feet
at the peak. Currently there is no insulation on the roof or side
walls. In the summer it is extremely hot, refrigerator like during the
Connecticut winters. I am sure the attic temps extremes adversely
effect the temps in our living area, the first two floors.

I would like to add insulation, but unsure how to proceed. Do I add
battt insulation; with or without a vapor barrier? Would it be
prudent to also add add a radiant barrier. Can I apply sheet rock over
the suggested insualtion, to have a "finished' room?

dave

BTW I am new to this site, after I saw a link on another site. I am
sure impressed with the breadth of advise here - Great Find !!

The absolute most important thing to do is ensure that there is
insulation between the attic and your living space...VIZ: along the
floor of the attic.

Other than that, there should be plenty of vents in the roof
to allow heat to escape in the summer.