Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Miguel Gimenez Miguel Gimenez is offline

Default HP IC, Unobtanium ?

El 26/02/2014 7:05, escribió:
Got a 1725a here that needs the vertical IC. It's designation is A5U2
and I THINK the part number is 5061-0024. The manual is a ****ty
scan, but any other numbers I can get out of it are too off the wall,
at least that number googles back to SOMETHING.

The Thing about this is that it is missing. Is it a high failure rate
part ? Another question I have is if it fits any better scopes. I
assume of course they would be HP, but why would someone take it out
unless either it was bad, or they wanted it to use in another unit.
If they used it in another unit, what would that be that would
warrant effectively scrapping this one ? A higher end scope using the
same part ?

OK, I could see in a business setting where it owuld not be feasible
to replace the thing even with the same model because of anal
regulations, but is that a reasonable assumption ? Also, if they fail
that much, maybe I should be leary of a used one. I assume there are
no new ones.

According to the print, this thing only has four transistors and a
half dozen resitors in it. Think there is a possibility of some sort
of retrofit ? Like building the equaivalent out of discrete parts ?
Might not be absolutely perfect but the thing is useless now.

Either that or part it out. Are the other parts worth much ?

Here you have a retrofit; it makes me remember the "Back to the future
part III" time machine repair with 1955 components.

Schematic:

http://elektrotanya.com/files/forum/...eplacement.jpg

Forum (in hungarian):

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=hu/conten...szkop-javitasa