Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default O/T: And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

On 2/25/2014 8:59 PM, Bill wrote:

I've traveled a loop while took me from finger-style guitar, to
(open-back) banjo, to blues-piano, and to fiddle--to say nothing of
vocals! And you can plan vacations around it!

I have bought more music since iTunes radio came out about a year ago
than I have in the last 30 years ... a tune at a time.

Created a couple of "stations" based on guitarist Steve Howell, and very
good friend of mine from Austria (Dutch, but lives in Wien), Hans
Theesink (one of the finest blues finger style guitarist around today).

Both these stations obviously play tunes found only in iTunes itself,
algorithmically chosen for style/genre, but the cool thing is the
selections played are folks you've never heard of ... and I mean some of
the best players around, just totally unknown musicians in today's market.

Like blues fiddle? Look around iTunes for an album by Tom Rigney, "Back
Porch Blues" ... blues fiddle that will knock your socks off (had the
privilege of playing with/recording some of the best in the business,
and this guy is worth a listen!)

make sure you check-out
some "Klezmer" music too! I haven't listened to a great deal of it, but
it "tickles my ear!"

If you like clarinet, ya gotta like Klezmer. (love the Freylachs in
particular). Actually recorded quite a bit of Klezmer in years past.
With a large Jewish population, many local musicians here in Houston
(mostly trained union guys playing in the local orchestras/big bands)
moonlight in the many Klezmer groups around town as a way of staying out
of a day job.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net