Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom Miller Tom Miller is offline

Default HP IC, Unobtanium ?

wrote in message
Got a 1725a here that needs the vertical IC. It's designation is A5U2 and I
THINK the part number is 5061-0024. The manual is a ****ty scan, but any
other numbers I can get out of it are too off the wall, at least that number
googles back to SOMETHING.

The Thing about this is that it is missing. Is it a high failure rate part ?
Another question I have is if it fits any better scopes. I assume of course
they would be HP, but why would someone take it out unless either it was
bad, or they wanted it to use in another unit. If they used it in another
unit, what would that be that would warrant effectively scrapping this one ?
A higher end scope using the same part ?

OK, I could see in a business setting where it owuld not be feasible to
replace the thing even with the same model because of anal regulations, but
is that a reasonable assumption ? Also, if they fail that much, maybe I
should be leary of a used one. I assume there are no new ones.

According to the print, this thing only has four transistors and a half
dozen resitors in it. Think there is a possibility of some sort of retrofit
? Like building the equaivalent out of discrete parts ? Might not be
absolutely perfect but the thing is useless now.

Either that or part it out. Are the other parts worth much ?

HP part number 5081-3024

Used also in the 1710B and the 1722B.