Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default O/T: And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

jo4hn wrote:
Nope there they were followed by a lot of others in the style of
"Weenie Juke Radio"
(see http://loudcity.com/stations/weenie-juke-radio#). Fantastic. I
may try for some classical Russian choral music next.

The player you found is associated with the forum he
http://weeniecampbell.com
I was a reasonably active participant for a while.

I listened to the W-C Radio for a few songs. Pretty revealing stuff,
huh? I got mostly-acquainted with the represented genres before the
Internet, before Weenie Campbell was even born (anyone curious can find
the amusing story about how she came into being at the website).
I prefer listening to such things over "modern marketing radio" when I
drive. I've traveled a loop while took me from finger-style guitar, to
(open-back) banjo, to blues-piano, and to fiddle--to say nothing of
vocals! And you can plan vacations around it! An interest in building
some of these (minstril-style banjo, fiddle, mountain dulcimer?) was
actually a catalyst in helping to revitalize my interest in working
with wood from my younger years (I hesitate to classify building a
birdfeeder, etc. as "woodworking" at this point) . After reading an
instrument building forum for a year or two, I came to appreciate how
little I really knew about woodworking and I started reading here, where
I found a new kind of harmony and culture (through furniture and it's
history), in tools, and in art--to say nothing of the social harmony
that woodworkers seem to have with one another.

One of catalysts for learning about the music was the retail store
elderlymusic.com which sold me my first non-cheapo guitar in the early
80's (Guild: Cherry D-25), made in 1966 or 1967. It's sitting on my
living room floor now, in its cardboard case. I don't play music that
often anymore, but I find that if I put instruments "out of sight" they
won't get played at all.

Jo4hn, while you've finished listening listening to "Russian Choral",
make sure you check-out some "Klezmer" music too! I haven't listened to
a great deal of it, but it "tickles my ear!"

Bill