Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendations

On 2/25/2014 12:56 PM, Tom Dacon wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

Being a pro in a particular field does not made you an expert on every
piece of equipment within a product line that you may or may not use.

Yeah, I get that, Leon. In my original response to Gramps, I just
mentioned that the local arborists are Husky users, merely as a point of
comparison to offer a different viewpoint from mine as a satisfied Stihl
user. Trying to be even-handed. If Stihl vs. Husky is a religious war in
some quarters, I have no intention of dying in a ditch over it. In fact,
the reason I've got a Stihl is that the nearest good chainsaw repair
place was at the time a Stihl dealer; if it had been a Husky dealer I'd
no doubt own a Husky instead.

I love the SawStop - I'm half-owner of a fairly new one that I share
with a boat builder friend, that we purchased to replace a Delta cabinet
saw that took off one of his index fingers. I'm on the Festool bandwagon
too, with a CXS drill, a jigsaw, and a random orbital sander - hope this
admission doesn't bring the Festool haters out of the woodwork, too.

Good on you Tom. ;~)

One of the saws that my tree guys use is a very small and light Husky
limbing chainsaw with about a 14-inch bar, that they use one-handed when
they're up a tree. I lust after it, but it's a professional tool and
priced to suit - about $600 or so - and there's no way that I could
justify it for the occasional use I'd make of it.

Tom

I continue to use an electric Craftsman that I bought about 20 years
ago. ;~)