Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Talk to me about templates, routers and double-stick tape

On 2/25/2014 12:30 PM, Swingman wrote:
Then use a trammel.

Is that a jig designed by a committee?

I don't believe I have heard that name before, but I have seen the
device. One potential problem: the radius I intend to use would put the
center "pin" inside the piece to be cut. I wouldn't want to put a hole
in the piece, so I'd have to affix some sacrificial piece to the work.

The jig idea I had was something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/12778985114/

But I saw at least two problems upon looking at the drawing. All of the
layers (the router table, the two-layer jig and the work itself) mean
that the router bit would not be long enough. I've been planning to
build a router table (although not right away) and could then do away
with one layer; drilling a pivot hole into the table itself. But there's
also the issue of stopping the cut at the right point. I suppose I could
figure that out as well, but it is starting to seem more complex than I
would like.

I'm now thinking it might be simpler to use a trammel to cut a template
and the template (screwed into a still-oversize workpiece) to rout the
arcs.

---