Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default The quality of lumber

writes:
On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:03:59 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:

Big Orange Retailing Giant, generally Home Depot.

I was walking around there today and I found wood ranging from the
cheapest white pine, nasty cuts only suitable for furring strips, then
"white wood" with a lot of knots in it, suitable for shelving to a
select grade that looked like SYP and pretty much clear and then you
got to the premium woods like the red oak and poplar. They were
cabinet grade if you picked them over.

The red oak at the borg is _way_ overpriced. Usually USD8-15/b.f.

A good lumberyard will have it for USD2-3bf; a mill if you are lucky
enough to have one local, will sell for less. Regional variations apply.

Granted the borg oak is S4S and you're more likely to find S2S with one
straight edge at a lumber yard, or rough at a mill, it's worth it if you
have the tools to surface the boards yourself.

I make a lot if stuff with red oak and the HD S4S is competitive with
the local hardwood retailer here or anything I can find online

I assume I could get rough sawn cheaper if I lived somewhere that
actually mills it locally but I don't own a surface planer.

On the west coast, where I currently abide, red oak has to be shipped
from back east. The HD red-oak is about 4x the price at the local
hardwood suppliers (Global, Jackel Enterprises (great prices)). Southern
Lumber prices closer to HD, unfortunately. Recently
I bought S2S for $3.20/bf (compared with $12/bf at HD).

Last time I was at the mill in Iowa, they told me they shipped most of their
clear oak/walnut/cherry to Russia - more $$$ to the mill when compared to
selling it domestically.

Now Baker Hardwoods has some really _nice_ claro walnut, and it is priced
accordingly.
http://www.bakerhardwoods.com/