Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_2_] Tim+[_2_] is offline

Default Door Bell Transformer

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Well, not completely. It would cost me a *lot* of time, trouble and money
to get mains supply to my front door bell. As has been mentioned, a
transformer is using power all the time and if you can do without an
illuminated bell push, that's power that you don't need to waste.

The real answer of course is you install the wiring and transformer when
the house is built - or re-wired.

And if you really are worried about the amount of electricity a decent
transformer uses when quiescent I hope you unplug every single bit of
equipment in the house too. The clock in the oven must use quite a bit too.

No, I don't worry about it. I'm just pointing out why mains power for a
doorbell isn't always cheaper.

Tim