Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Door Bell Transformer

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
Fredxxx wrote:
On 24/02/2014 22:03, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Most small transformers consume a few watts, say 5?

1W would be nearer the mark for that size.

Most I have seen run rather warm, so must be more than 1 W?

The bell at our main entrance has what I'd regard as a fairly normal
bell transformer and I've just metered it at 3W. At the other door is a
battery-operated bell which needs two D cells about every ten years. So
obviously batteries win on cost grounds but I regard the illumination of
the main door bell push, and the reassurance it offers when pressed, to
be worth the small amount I pay.

The battery-operated bell is a rather old-fashioned brrrrrring! type
rather than a xylophone or a bleeper. This has the advantage that
declining batteries are obvious every time it rings and they can be
replaced in good time.

Whenever I approach a door and see an obviously cordless bell push, I
treat it with the greatest suspicion.

We have a cordless push which rings 3 separate "bells". This means the
sound can be heard throughout teh house and, if necesary, the garden.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18