Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default Door Bell Transformer

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 19:35:38 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

DerbyBorn used his keyboard to write :

I used to have a separate doorbell transformer. During some kitchen work
the electrician fitted a new transformer inside the consumer unit. I can
now hear a (50Hz)buzz in the bedroom above.

I have a Friedland DIN mounted one in my CU, and it doesn't make a noise
(I tend to notice stray buzzes/hums/whines more than most people).

Most everyone moved over to modern wireless versions long ago

Which is why you wait outside those people's front-door like a muppet,
never sure if they simply haven't heard you, or if the AAA battery in
the wireless transmitter is flat ... again.

Wireless bells are for the lazy and feckless ;-)

At least with a good old-fashioned bell push fitted with a festoon
bulb, even if the caller can't hear the bell, he/she knows that the
laws of physics dictate that the few watts that were illuminating it
before the button was pressed, must be now dissipated somewhere else.

My wired bell push is a big round convex brass thing with a ceramic
button that says PRESS. It's been on my house for 35 years but I
reckon it's not far off 100 years old.