Carlo Robazza

Default Off-center turning - determining fault

WooHoo! I just got the lathe back and it is much smoother now; no noticable
wobble at all. I would seriously suggest that anyone with a Delta Midi that
has this problem, contact Delta right away and tell them. Mine was fixed for
free. I even got a replacement plastic tailstock handle under warranty, too.

Now, if I can just find the time to do some more turning. My damned job hunt
is interfering with my play time.

Carlo.

"Carlo Robazza" wrote in message
.. .
I just called and the shaft is in. They were waiting for the replacement
plastic tailstock handle to come in before calling me! Sheesh! The handle

can wait for. I'm going to try to bring the lathe in tomorrow and should

get
it back mid next week (Tuesday is Canada Day and is a holiday).

I just hope it doesn't make it worse. I'll let the group know the results.

Carlo.

"Carlo Robazza" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the club. I had posted the exact same problem a while back

and
the consensus was to contact Delta. I did and was told to take it to a
authorized repair shop. I did. That was a few months ago and I'm still
waiting for the back-ordered replacement shaft to come in. Luckily I

have
the lathe while I'm waiting.

I recently went to a store in the area that had both the Delta Midi and

Jet
Mini on display. The Delta had the same problem as mine. I took a look

at
the Jet and there was no problem with it. So, thinking that maybe it was
that the faceplate was manufactured poorly, I took the faceplate off of

the
Jet (that spun true) and tried it on the Delta. Same thing: wobble. I

took
the Delta's faceplate off and tried it on the Jet: no wobble.

Actually having the two lathes side by side and knowing what I know now,

if
I was doing it over again, I would have spent the extra $125CDN and

bought
the Jet. But, being the cheap SOB that I am (along with the fact that

I'm
out of work) I won't be doing that. I'll wait for the new shaft to turn

up.
Speaking of which, it's time to call the shop and see what the delay is.

Good luck and you have my sympathies,

Carlo.

"Scott Zrubek" wrote in message
Howdy all,

I've just recently set up the Delta midi-lathe I gave to my wife for a
Christmas gift (it took a while to build the rollable stand for it).

She let me use it for a bit to turn bottle-stoppers and I came out

with
a problem. I bought the bottle stopper kit from PSI that came with

the
1"x8tpi chuck. When I turn the lathe on, the chuck appears to be
wobbling: it does not present a nice steady line and "knocks" against

my
fingernail when I place my finger against it. I turned a couple of
stoppers and the distance from the center hole to the turned edge of

the
stopper varies by around 1/32".

How do I determine whether the lathe or the chuck is at fault?
How do I remedy the situation?

thanks, in advance, for any help at all.

--
Scott Zrubek
It's all Isildur's fault I *had* to read those four books!