Posted to rec.woodworking
tdacon tdacon is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendations

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message

I have infrequent need for a chainsaw and have a little McCullough electric
that does OK. There are a couple of trees down in the back too remote for
the electric and I'd like to have a gas saw to take advantage of found logs
or limbs.

Since my use is infrequent, I don't want to invest too much. CL frequently
has Poulans available. Here's an example:
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/4346181306.html

Any thoughts?

Gramps, I bought a Poulan around six or seven years ago, from a local
hardware store/lumberyard because I thought that they would stand behind it
if it gave me trouble. Which it did, right away. I could never get it
working right, and neither could they. Took me a month to get my money back
from them. So as far as I'm concerned, Poulan chain saws aren't worth a
damn, and neither is that hardware store/lumberyard.

I've got a medium-size Stihl now and am happy with it. The local tree guys
tend to use Husqvarnas, but they say that they eat starter ropes. On the
other hand, they start them a dozen times a day, and I start mine a dozen
times a year.

Tom