Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Aircraft oxygen tank as compressor tank

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:45:34 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 2/17/2014 1:50 AM, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:12:29 -0500, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:49:00 -0800 (PST),

I use a 30 pund propane tank as the primary reiever for my G-D 2CFM
compressoor. I removed the original valve and used the 3/4" NPT
opening as inlet, outlet and drain by mouting the tank upside down. ...

And I'd condemn both of those tanks if you can't get them Hydrotested
for safety. If they blow up in your face it's going to ruin your
month, if not the rest of the century.

For typical compressed air setpoints of 100 psi +/- the pressure rating
for the propane tank is well within a margin of safety for burst
pressure, not to mention that he installed a relief valve besides.

The thought somebody has of eventually rusting thru will result in a
leak perhaps at some point but the likelihood of a destructive explosive
event is miniscule at best.

The WW-II Oxygen Cylinder is probably one of those Strap-Reinforced
ones, they're going to take one look at and condemn flat out - and I'd
stop using it unless you have a BIG safety margin - like in a Diving
Tank built for 5000 PSI and you're only using it at 150 max.

We've also had one of the AF "bubbles" that we use as a carry-all
portable supply on the farm. It's been around as long as I can remember
from the early 60s and is also nothing I'd worry about at all. Again,
the max that one can get into it is the outlet of the filling compressor
in our case (105 psi) or the cutoff of a compressor pressure switch if
used as a receiver. There's a rating stamped on this one but I don't
recall precisely what it is but I'm sure it's well above 100 psi.

All the discussion here is basically a "tempest in a teapot" as for real
safety concern imo.

I have observed though, that those who lack experience are prone to
imagine the largest catastrophes.
--
Cheers,

John B.