Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

On 2/21/2014 9:40 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/20/2014 5:19 PM, wrote:

Agreed. They behave differently and I touched on the differences in
length.

Superficially and without proper conclusions, unfortunately.

A demonstration that isn't _exactly_ the same problem, but very closely
related is at...

http://neilatkin.com/2013/07/31/3-act-physics-momentum/

Didn't intend that to sound as snippy as it does, sorry...but, the
problem has much to do with the differences between elastic and
inelastic collisions which is why I pointed out at the beginning of the
subthread you really don't want to get too deeply into the actual
physics because it isn't a trivial problem that can be correctly modeled
with only a couple of masses with linear springs. Hence trying to draw
conclusions on comparison to that as a model isn't fruitful.

While the example video shows an interaction between to solid objects
w/o the inner mass of the deadblow hammer, the difference between the
two shows the fundamental difference in momentum transfer between
(nearly) elastic and inelastic collisions. Therein is the key to the
difference in behaviors in the other as well altho it's yet more complex
to actually model given the second mass. But, for a first
approximation, think of the inelastic case in the video as if that were
the impacting interior mass of the deadblow hammer assuming you could
deliver the blow w/o the container and you've got the start of a
visualization.