Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Kilns again!

On 21/02/2014 09:02, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Would it not be an awful lot cheaper to run this thing off kerosene or
bottled gas? Your electric bills are going to be on the HIGH side!

Not really....
Trick is - unlike a pottery kiln, the thing isn't running 100% of the
time during the process...
...typically (with my old kiln - rated 3kw) a 12-hour firing cycle only
uses about 4 - 5kWh - as the controller pulses the heating elements
on/off in order to achieve a sequence or 'ramp / hold' over time...

The new kiln has twice the electrical power of the old one, but at least
5 x the capacity (in terms of square feet) and a much smaller
thermal capacity (so I'll not be wasting electricity in heating up a
massive set of firebricks...

...at least - that's the theory!
Adrian