Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

On 2/20/2014 4:46 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:06:50 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
The mallet head striking an object bounces. The shot hitting the
opposite end of the mallet when the mallet bounces back "helps" to
cancel out the head bounce back.

Pretty much as I'd have explained it. But however one looks at it, a
dead blow mallet is a damned useful tool. You don't really realize it
though until you actually use one.

Now I will say........ I had a dead blow mallet back in the 70's. It
eventually degraded and the plastic disintegrated and left the steel
handle and a shot gun shell sized capsule partially filled with the pellets.

I suspect that a lot of the bounce back is also absorbed by the plastic
material that is used to encase the steel parts.

For the past 20 or so years I have used one of those smaller hammers
with a red rubber face on one end and a yellow plastic face on the
other. The plastic face end is a similar plastic that is used on the
dead blow mallets. My current non dead blow hammer does not have much
bounce back either....