Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

wrote in message
But you still have deceleration. A point that gets at the increased
efficiency claim. The magnitude can certainly be debated.

I'm not sold on the increased efficiency from a better recoil property for
the shot. It's still going to recoil. Bang into each other (energy loss)
and bang into the sides of the cavity (energy loss)

You also have a loss in energy via heat (from banging into each other)
that doesn't come into play on a solid hammer of equal mass. Again, this
gets to efficiency. Magnitude can be debated.

I don't think we get a free lunch here. More efficiency from a hammer
strike with the same amount of mass - not convinced.

Look at the swing as a closed energy system. If the hammer bounces back,
that energy came "from somewhere." It came from not driving the object
being struck. When there is no bounce, all of the energy (minus a very
small amount of friction of the shot heating up) gets expended driving the
struck object. That is the only way you can look at it.
--
Jim in NC

---