Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using snow blower in summer

On 2/18/2014 8:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Dan Espen wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

nestork wrote:
I'm just wondering if running a snow blower in the summer would harm the
engine because of insufficient cooling? It seems to me that you have
much the same kind of Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton engine on a snow
blower as you do on a rototiller.

I don't winterize or summerize any of my outdoor power equipment. Snow
blower, leaf blowers, lawn mower, trimmer, etc. Instead, I start them up
once a month and let them run until they've reached normal operating
temperature.

Once a month?

I don't do anything at all.
Stop using it in the fall, start it up in the spring.
I have a 2 cycle string trimmer that I sometimes don't start for a year or 2.
Starts fine when I want to use it.
Who makes up these time wasting rules?

I didn't know it was a rule. I just do what works for me. On those rare
occasions when I've left OPE without starting for full season I've had
problems, so I settled into once a month...more or less. It's not like I
set an alarm or anything. When I'm out doing other things in the yard, I'll
grab a piece of equipment and run it for few minutes. I like being outside,
regardless of the weather, so it's not a big deal.

All of the automatic residential generators I installed exercised once a
week at a time of day determined by how the timer was set. Those
generators ran on natural gas so there was no concern about stale fuel.
It was done to make sure it would be ready for an emergency. I don't
guess there was any emergency need for a snow blower to run at any time
except for this winter. ^_^

TDD