Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Old tech-carbide batteries?

Acetylene generators are fairly common in Asia, outside the big
cities. No bottle rental and calcium carbide and water are cheaper
then acetylene too :-)

A few years ago this was discussed and someone found a Swiss company
that made them still and was rather surprised. A quick search on "swiss
acetylene generator" turned up http://www.gloor.ch/pdf/P122_en.pdf .

Practically every shop that sells "welding stuff" has them for sale
here.

Back in the day my grandfather had a plant manufacturing farm
implements. I was only there a couple of times before it went under c.
early 60's.

Anyway, he had 3 or 4 calcium carbide acetylene generators in/around the
welding area.

Erik