Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

dpb wrote:
On 2/19/2014 9:41 AM, Swingman wrote:

All too often the advice proffered in forums like this are based on
Googled knowledge and damned little to none, actual experience.

Well, being a "trained physicist" sometimes helps to understand the
underlying principles involved, too. Google did help find a
readable article, however, that outlines them...

Ok - I risk going out on a limb here, in areas that I'm not qualified to
speak into, but I do recognize your claim to credentials. What I have seen
many, many times is where there is some other consideration that the trained
eye failed to see. Not at all to downplay those credentials, but it is fair
to say that even the best design by the best engineering mind, falls prey to
the discovery of the prototype. You know - the oops moment when we realize
that we didn't recognize some aspect of the problem, or the likes. If
everything worked in the theoretical realm as it seems it should (as we see
it...), there would be no need for prototypes, proof of concept, testing,
etc.

Ok (again...), I lean towards the practical. I appreciate the theoretical
and in fact I value it greatly. But - I go to "just doing it" at some
point. Maybe that's just me, but it's the only way I can really prove the
theories behind what I'm doing.

--

-Mike-