Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old tech-carbide batteries?

On 19 Feb 2014 01:39:16 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-02-18, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 23:11:00 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On 18 Feb 2014 05:17:07 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

My 2 cents (when did they take the "cent" sign off keyboards?)

When they switched from typewriters to ASCII keyboards for
computers. They needed too many other weird characters for computer
languages -- and even used the '$' as the lead-in character to certain
variable types instead of for money. :-)

[ ... ]

FWIW -- I typed the above character as "COMPOSE-c-/", just as I get 'ñ'
with "COMPOSE-N-~", It seemed like a likely code for that. A check on
another window shows that it does produce a cents sign -- on a Sun Unix
computer, at lest. :-)

Whoever heard of _those_?

Which -- the "COMPOSE" key? -- anyone who is using a Sun
keyboard for unix workstations. Gunner (below) pointed to web pages
documenting the Microsoft keyboard sequences, and a link from there for
Mac keyboard sequences

But the original question was:

"when did they take the "cent" sign off keyboards?"

(scratching head) I don't recall -ever- seeing a cent key on a
computer keyboard, but they were on typewriters. I didn't get into
computing until well after the PC came out, ca 1990 for me.

And it is truly *off* all computer *keyboards* using the ASCII
characterset (as it is not part of the standard 7-bit ASCII
characterset. All of the above and below are work-arounds to make up
for the absence of the "cents" key '¢' on any of the current
keyboards.

Ah...gentlemen?

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards1.asp

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards.asp#map

It may work for MS keyboards, but it doesn't work with my ACER
keyboard and Agent or Tbird. Alt+0162 does this ¢, though, in the
Times New Roman font. Other fonts use different mapping. sigh
I use Windows' own Character Map.

While I *can't* use it -- since I don't use Windows itself, and
it won't even *run* on most of my computers. :-)

Well, if Mr. Luddite ever came into the 21st century and got away from
his springpole lathe and gaslight computers...

And -- this incompatibility of special characters between
various systems and various programs on the *same* systems even, is why
I normally suggest that if the character isn't on a keycap on the
keyboard, *spell* out it's name so everyone can read it. I only used it
here to prove that there *were* work-arounds for many systems.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.