Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old tech-carbide batteries?

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 07:01:47 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:ldvh46$n22
:

There was someone in this group about a year ago talking about
refurbishing old batteries which used a steel (or perhaps cast iron)
tank. I forget what the anode was. And I think that it used NaOH
(Sodium Hydroxide) as the electrolyte -- lye instead of carbide.
Perhaps this is what the tank was.

Enjoy,
DoN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%...93iron_battery

http://www.zappworks.com/battery_prices.htm

That's a terrible web site! They advertise a cost of '20-25% more than
lead acid", then ask $3300 for a 250AH battery! A 250AH lead/acid costs
in the range of about $220. So what is that price -- a pallet of 10?
They sure don't say so...

Then, in their specs page, they say one "should keep a 1/4" layer of
consumable grade mineral on top of the electrolyte". Oooohhhkay! Which
'grade mineral' might that be... basalt? granite? Ohhh... you mean't
"Consumable-grade mineral OIL!".

These guys are illiterate, incompetent, or liars.

7 hour dicharge? KWH battery prices? 2-yr warranty on "lifetime"
batteries? All their "rock bottom prices" have commas in them.
Hmm, Zapp 250Ah for $3,950 vs. IronEdison 300Ah for $2,910, and Zapp
calls their pricing "rock-bottom"? Lotta damned gall, wot?

Asking 50% up front
and not shipping for 30 days after receipt of payment makes me leery. Of

50% up front at the time of consult, then the remaining 50% prior to
waiting a month to ship? That's just crazy!

all the types of batteries available, those can be built and stored
almost indefinitely -- so why would they not have stock ON HAND?

Short shelf life on a "lifetime" battery, perhaps? thud

In total, the site makes me want to RUN AWAY!

This was an interesting read:
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=146519.0
Is Zapp really rebuilding Edison cells?

Until there are more mfgrs, I think the pricing is going to remain
high, but the bastids are using centuries old technology and putting
it up as "new" and "green" for obscene profits, while likely reaping
rewards from the government's renewable energy programs.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.