Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Jeh Johnson Jeh Johnson is offline

Default Cutting off your nose to spite your face: DHS blocks salt shipment toNJ

What you americans have become absolute masters of since 9/11 is being
able to cut off your nose to spite your face. The most recent example
being this:

N.J. officials were hoping a barge with 40 tons of salt would
arrive from Maine. But the vessel wasn't flying the American
flag and officials couldn't get clearance from Homeland Security
to come to the Port of Newark. The barge sailed empty, leaving
the salt in Maine.

I'm sure that people living in New Jersey are much more "secure" now
that an alien barge can come nowhere near them.

==================
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY)

The salt shortage persists in New Jersey. Officials have failed to get
permission for a barge with 40 tons of salt to set sail for the tristate
region

Angel Morales, a resident of Jersey City says her car just won’t go
anywhere.

“Look, you see I went up and I started sliding back,” she said.

N.J. officials were hoping a barge with 40 tons of salt would arrive
from Maine. But the vessel wasn't flying the American flag and
officials couldn't get clearance from Homeland Security to come to the
Port of Newark. The barge sailed empty, leaving the salt in Maine.

Now municipalities are counting on smaller shipments from suppliers.
Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop says he's been waiting for salt for two
weeks

"We got 200 tons today we are expecting another 300 tons today” said the
mayor. “To put it in perspective we use about 800 tons this will get us
through one more snow storm. One more storm we will be back in this
place so we really need some larger relief. "

Jersey City has been using the more expensive liquid brine and sand to
combat the snow on city streets. Residents say snow mounds and places to
dump the snow are also a problem.

Officials say they are working with Homeland Security to get larger
shipments of salt for the area.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2474664...tage-continues