Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] brian@garagewoodworks.com is offline

Default Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:55:33 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/18/2014 1:50 AM, wrote:

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:40:22 AM UTC-5, Martin Eastburn wrote:

As I posted, I'd use a 50% fill of BB's - the video shows 100% fill.

You want the many hammer blows when you smack something.

Not convinced. Here's why:

F = ma : Half full gives me approx F = 1/2 ma

"Many hammer blows" : Force = ma (collission1) + ma (collisions2) ... etc. = m(total)a

You only end up with approx 1/2 the amount of force as a full hammer head spread out over multiple smaller collisions. The sum of which are still 1/2 a full head.

Martin

On 2/17/2014 10:34 PM,
wrote:

I made a mallet (deadblow?) from walnut, maple and BBs. Incredibly fun project.

The plans were taken from Shopnotes 1992 No2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-j3UcfQ_rE

So I was wrong, I thought Martin was talking about the bounce back.

With a full head, you gain mass, but I don't think it gives you the

deadblow, that is desireable. That's why I would go with less fill, but

lead, to gain back the mass.

No. Substitute the mass for lead in my equations above. You are still better off with a full head of lead than 1/2 full head of lead. It's the same equations.

--

Jeff