Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular.t-mobile,sci.electronics.repair
tlvp tlvp is offline

Default Does this T-Mobile/LG smartphone carrier unlock code ever expire?

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 04:39:21 +0000 (UTC), Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

tlvp wrote:
??? IMEI (not IEMI) isn't irretrievably burned into ROM? Anyway the last
digit of an IMEI is a check-digit -- what you get from a valid IMEI by
merely incrementing it by one is generally no longer a valid IMEI :-) .

In this case I did not have or use the software, by the time there were
enough GSM carriers here to matter, you could get unlocked cell phones
cheaper here than locked ones. Now no cell phones are sold here locked.

A much nicer state of affairs than allowing SIM-locked phones, isn't it?

I assume what it did was to add one to the serial number part of the IMEI
and recompute the check digit. It worked and was quite popular.

OK, I'll take your word for it :-) . Thanks,

Geoff.

Cheers, -- tlvp