Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default IR V visible red and PVR remotes.

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:33:10 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

On 17/02/2014 10:41, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

We have recently gained a second set top box / personal video recorder
and they are both (technically) the same. The problem then is the two
remotes affect both units (as they are used independently).

Now, I was wondering if I was to replace one remote TX LED with a
visible red LED and possibly put a visible red optical grade filter
over the matching STB, would / should that be enough to isolate the
two systems?

Firstly, thanks to all you have replied so far.

You could build a very small and cheap single transistor radio TX/RX
channel for one of the remotes, replacing the optics?

Funnily enough I thought that one out loud when talking to the
SIL_to_be about it earlier.

Or similar with ultrasonic transducers?

Yup .... basically anything that isn't going to interfere with the IR
signal but could still be modulated.

However, whilst any / all of the thoughts and suggestions of keeping
it 'remote' are good, ITRW I'm not sure I'd ever get round to actually
implementing them, whereas I might actually get round to simply making
the remote 'wired'.

A second IRTX placed inside the second unit with the external window
covered with black tape. The IR TX LED(?) wired via a 3.5mm jack
socket and similar on the remote (the switch on the socket isolating
the internal TX). She's sitting right next to her Topfield anyway so
it being wired really would be any disadvantage. Removing the lead
and the tape reverts it back as std?

I'll just have to see how much room there is in the remote.

Cheers, T i m