Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop wiring and lighting

basilisk wrote:

Everthing that will use 240v is accounted for, except for a welding
machine. I may go diesel for the welder as the machine I have now is a
buzz box and not good for much.

What kind of welding do you do? Your buzz box is not something I would
consider "not good for much", unless there's something wrong with it. If
you're working under 3/8" for 90% of your welding, then give due
consideration to the 120v welders. I think they're usually actually rated
to 1/4" but they will easily weld 3/8". Nice, because you can plug them in
anywhere. Most of us don't weld 1/2" often enough to warrant the extra
expense so the 120v welders work just fine. I have welded 1/2" with my
Hobart, but I did it in multiple passes . The nice part is I can throw it
in the truck or in the trunk and take it anywhere to do some welding. Using
flux core wire, I don't even need to take my argon bottle.

--

-Mike-