Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Shop wiring and lighting

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:24:55 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

"basilisk" wrote in message

I may put a row of drops down the center of the roofline
in
addition to wall outlets, they would be handy but also
possibly in the way at times.

You might want to consider something like this...

In one of my photography studios I got the light cords off the floor by
stringing fine cable - 1/16th IIRC - wall to wall, tensioned a bit with
small turnbuckles. There were six cables, three about 6 feet from each side
of the 20' wide room, My electric cords went up one wall, then into a series
of loops, each of which was attached to a nylon traveler (slide) on a cable.
A short piece of coil cord was spliced into the end of each electric wire.

With this setup I could move any of the 6-8 lights to any place in the
studio. I could also get them all out of the way. I could also just unplug
a light and move it elsewhere as the end of the coil cord - when retracted -
was a bit less than an arms reach above my head; when extended, tthe coil
cords would reach (or nearly reach) the floor.

Worked for me, plan to do something similar in my shop, only 1-2 lines
though.

That's not a bad idea.

basilisk