Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Shop wiring and lighting

On 2/17/2014 10:15 AM, basilisk wrote:
On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:39:25 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/17/2014 8:23 AM, basilisk wrote:
I have been applying myself to getting the wiring installed in the shop,
so far the only part completed is the 120V for outlets.

Appears you've done a great job thus far.

Thanks for the kind words, it seem to take forever for me to finish
anything, working 60 hours a week for someone else slows me down for
some reason.

I've tried to stick with the rules on the wiring with the exception
of GFI breakers, so it would fail inspection on that point.

I always put them in where they are required, figuring I'm not going to
live forever and, third party inspections being a guarantee in this area
prior to resell, it is one less thing I'll have to address for selling
when I may not be able to do so easily. Problematic in their early
stages, I have literally had no problems with GFCI receptacles/breakers
in the shop the last few years.

I've never really been sold on them from a practical stand point.
I doubt they have ever saved anyone, except maybe the toaster
in the bathtub crowd. I do have some in the kitchen and baths.

Not true, I had a pump that went bad in the pool area.. it was a cover
pump. And it was fine on the gfci, then it started popping it. Clearly
it could have saved my ass. Before I replaced the pump I ran a cord to a
non-gfci ckt. I just made sure I unplugged it b4 doing any work there.
Also when cutting concrete with an old metal cased circ saw, made sure
it was in use, since I also used slight spraying of water to keep the
dust down... while it didn't pop, it was nice knowing I had the protection.

For the reasons you stated it makes sense to put them in up front.

I've pretty much settled on 6
low bay 400 watt metal halide. I considered 400 watt equiv
led lights but just can't bear the expense right now,
pay me now or pay me later. They are making mogul base
leds that will screw in metal halide fixtures after bypassing
the ballast, so hopefully the price of leds will come down
by the time the metal halide fixtures fail. If all that happens
I can replace them one at the time.

Good plan ... looks like you're on the right track.

--
Jeff