Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Shop wiring and lighting

On 2/17/2014 9:54 AM, basilisk wrote:

I disregarded fluorescents on two counts, the number of fixtures required,
I've a bit of a lazy streak, rather hang 6 fixtures rather than 18 and for
some inexplicable reason fluorescents have a very short life span
here, doesn't seem to be a grounding issue as I have several more ground
rods driven in than required and they are in high iron content soil.
The voltage runs high here but not enough that it should be a problem,
sometimes hitting 130v. Who knows what goes on with the power
when no one is looking.

No need for 18 fixtures. We replaced them one for one and have plenty
of good light. We also have 6 tube fixtures in the production area.
Bright as being outside on a sunny day.

As for the short life span, that is a different issue.