Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Shop wiring and lighting

On 2/17/14, 8:40 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/17/2014 9:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2014 9:23 AM, basilisk wrote:

I've pretty much settled on 6 low bay 400 watt metal halide.

In our warehouse we had metal halide and the power company paid us
to take them out and replace them with 4 tube high efficiency
fluorescent. The ones we had were 1000 watt and we are getting
better light with less than 200 watts.

The old lights had bulbs that cost $100 too. Now, all four would
cost about $16.

Same in the gym that I play volleyball in. It's also nice having the
lights come on quickly rather than taking 10-15 to warm up.

Keep in mind how lighting affects the hues in your finishes. Many
artificial light sources make it next to impossible to see what your
finish will actually look like in natural or normal household lighting.
Fluorescent and halide being the worst offenders.

I spent the extra money on fluorescent tubes that give off light the
color of an overcast day which is not too warm and not too cool, and
certainly not that gross green of most fluorescent tubes.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--